COMPLEX CIVIL LITIGATION
Representing companies and individuals in big-stakes and bet-the-company business disputes is at the heart of our practice.
We have extensive experience representing clients in a variety of civil matters in federal and state courts throughout the country, including matters involving fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, trade secret misappropriation, and shareholder and employment disputes.
BUSINESS OWNERSHIP DISPUTES AND SHAREHOLDER DERIVATIVE ACTIONS
We have litigated a number of highly contentious disputes among owners of closely-held businesses and understand the unique issues created by ownership fights. Representative cases include:
- Successfully representing a frozen-out shareholder of a wireless communications company in litigation and achieving the sale of the company
- Representing one of two owner-directors of a commodity resins business in a lawsuit seeking relief from oppression, freeze-out, and breaches of fiduciary duty
- Defending private equity firm against former shareholder’s claim of entitlement to profits and capital contributions
- Representing a proprietary trading firm in connection with the withdrawal of one of the firm’s founders
- Representing a physician in a dispute with a managing partner of the physicians group over entitlement to payments and equity that were fraudulently withheld
- Advising frozen-out shareholder of a retail business in connection with a dispute over the operation of the business
- Winning dismissal of civil RICO claim against an LLC and its officers brought by former joint venture partner, and prevailing in appeal of dismissal before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Winning at trial against shareholder derivative and direct claims alleging fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and corporate removal against to officers and directors of a privately held company.