COMPLEX CIVIL LITIGATION
Representing companies and individuals in big-stakes and bet-the-company business disputes is at the heart of our practice.
We have extensive experience representing clients in a variety of civil matters in federal and state courts throughout the country, including matters involving fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, trade secret misappropriation, and shareholder and employment disputes.
CIVIL FRAUD CASES
We are highly experienced in both prosecuting and defending civil fraud litigation – particularly in government investigations and bankruptcies. We have represented bankruptcy trustees, receivers, and creditor committees in litigation arising out of multi-million dollar fraudulent schemes. We have experience on both sides of whistleblower cases under the Dodd-Frank Act, Sarbanes-Oxley Act, and False Claims Act. Representative cases include:
- Leading the litigation for the bankruptcy trustee of Sentinel Management Group to recover assets for defrauded investors against banks, brokers, auditors, and others. Grede v. Bank of New York, Grede v. First Tennessee Securities, Grede v. McGladrey & Pullen, Grede v. INTL FCStone, and Grede v. Citadel Investment Group and Goldman Sachs. Recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for the estate.
- Litigating on behalf of a Cayman liquidator of a fund asserting a claim in excess of $500 million against the Petters estate by virtue of Petters’ fraud in inducing the fund to invest in Petters’ Ponzi scheme
- Winning dismissal of a False Claims Act qui tam suit against a health care provider
- Investigating a $3 million fraud against an individual, preparing a detailed investigation report, and obtaining the person’s indictment and conviction by the Department of Justice
- Defending an employee of a prominent trading firm against claims that he misappropriated information and violated the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act
- Obtaining a substantial severance for a corporate whistleblower under the Dodd-Frank Act in a dispute with a Fortune 100 company
- Representing an attorney-whistleblower under the Dodd-Frank Act and Sarbanes-Oxley Act in a dispute with an international financial services company
- Representing a major industrial supply company in False Claims Act dispute involving pricing under a government supply contract
- Advising a group of hedge fund investors created pursuant to Bermuda liquidation proceeding in matters against a hedge fund involving allegations of fraud and mismanagement